DIY shirts in under 10 minutes!

Jack received an unofficial shirt making kit for his birthday back in January and we finally had a chance to test it out last weekend. It was awesome and super easy to do! Jack basically did all of it himself.

First, we started with the blank t-shirts. Out of the stack he received, he chose blue first. Then he laid out the stencil and chose the paint color. To keep the shirt steady and not leak any paint through, cardboard was placed in the middle. It was suggested on the paint and trust me – it’s a good tip!

IMG_2315

The stencils were very hippie style, so he opted for a bleeding heart effect. I’m not sure he knew that’s what it was, but he chose it anyway. Any type of stencil that can be washed would work great. We used Tulip ® – which can be found at any local craft stores.

IMG_2317

Next up, time to paint! The paints were SUPER COOL! It was fabric spray paint, but not the awful spray paint where your pointer finger goes numb, it was a trigger (think cleaning spray bottle). This made it so easy for Jack. Just spray back and forth in a smooth flow, similar to regular spray paint.

IMG_2318

He used the olive green from the camouflage set he received.

IMG_2322

Look at that form!

IMG_2324

The dots in the top left corner were my fault. Whomp whomp. My bad. I lifted the stencil off and there was LOTS of paint on it and it dribbled all over. Boo. My suggestion would be to lift the stencil off super carefully and straight upwards. You could let the paint dry on the stencil, but I’m Type A and then it won’t clean off nicely. Straight up is the ticket!

Once Jack saw the first, he immediately had to do another. This time he opted for a white shirt and 2 stencils. He also went for the more traditional tie dye effect and used multiple colors. He had two sets of paint colors. This set had blue, purple, and pink. He also included the sand from the camouflage set.

IMG_2325

Jack was still learning so you’ll see a few heavy spots with the blue paint.

IMG_2326

After the painting was finished, which literally was 10 minutes tops, they needed to dry. It was a hot day so it dried by the time we finished cleaning up the stencils and materials. The paint bottle instructions suggested waiting 3 days before coming in contact with water so I haven’t washed them and he wasn’t worn them.

Overall Jack was thrilled with the end result and it was a great mini project together!

signature

Posted in DIY

let me know what you're thinking!